Burnham Memorial Library
The Burnham Memorial Library welcomes people of all ages to enrich their lives through books, audio-visual materials and programs. The library will provide materials for life-long learning and assistance in using information resources, with an emphasis on early literacy in children. Colchester residents will look to the Library as a place that is attractive and welcoming, with an atmosphere that inspires them to learn, grow, and become better citizens.
- May 30 - Closed for Memorial Day
- VT Online Library - Did you know that patrons can access a wide range of resources through the Vermont Online Library? This month, we focus on Powerspeak Languages, which helps you to learn a new language. Through a combination of lessons and activities, Powerspeak explains word choice and grammar, as well as audio examples for pronunciation. Languages include Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, and English as a Second language. For more information, take a look at our website or stop by the library. You can find more information here.
- Intervale Food Hub - The library is again serving as a drop-off for Intervale! Their food is sourced from over thirty Vermont farmers and food makers. Subscription options include the Vermont Vegetable, Omnivore and Vegetarian Packages, artisan bread, cheddar cheese, pasture raised eggs, chicken, and pork, grass fed beef, and Wild Alaskan fish. you can sign up until June 1. For more information or to sign up, please visit their website.
- Book Sale – Please add our annual Friends of the Library book sale to your calendar for the weekend of June 24-26! It includes a wide range of hardcovers and paperbacks, music and movies, for kids and adults. Friday, June 24 is a preview for Friends members (you can join at the door), and runs from 5-8 pm; Satuday, June 25 runs from 8 am-4 pm; and Sunday, June 26 will be a final blow-out sale, from 10 am-2 pm. Donated books (as well as DVD's and CD's) will be collected the weekend beforehand - Friday, June 17 from 12-8 pm, and Saturday, June 18 from 8 am-2 pm. Both the drop off and sale will take place at the Colchester High School.
- Lake Monsters - Join us for Burnham Memorial Library night at Centennial Field with the Vermont Lake Monsters. Friday, July 22 is library night - half of the proceeds will be donated to the library! The gates open at 6 pm, and the game starts at 7:05 pm. The Lake Monsters (an Oakland A's affiliate) will be playing the Hudson Valley Renegades (a Tampa Bay Rays affiliate). Tickets are $6 - order them here, and take a look at the full flyer here (PDF). Support the library, and catch a great game - we hope to see you there!
- Any Vermont resident may register for free borrowing privileges.
- Circulation Periods:
- 3 weeks - Books
- 2 weeks - New books, audio/video materials, and e-Readers
- 1 week - Periodicals and passes
- Borrowers are financially responsible for damaged and lost library materials.
- There are only overdue fines on VHS Tapes, DVDs, e-readers, and passes.
- Items may be reserved or renewed at the library, by phone, or through the online catalog, unless the item is on hold for another patron.
- The library has book drops located at Town Hall (781 Blakely Road), and at the Rite-Aid near the Price Chopper (1184 Prim Road).
- We participate in Vermont's inter-library loan system - read more about it here.
- The library is part of the Homecard system, enabling Colchester residents to borrow directly from other participating Chittenden County libraries.
- Computers, printers, and a scanner are available for Internet access, email, and working with documents.
- The library has public Wi-Fi for those with their own laptops or other devices.
- We offer access to the Vermont Online Library - a collection of online research databases with materials for all ages.
- The library has a selection of large print books and current magazines.
- The library receives the Burlington Free Press and the New York Times (Daily), and the Colchester Sun and Seven Days (weekly).
- Audiobooks, e-Readers, videos, DVDs, music CDs, and Playaways are available for checkout.
- We have a public meeting space which can be used by community groups - call for information or availability.
- The library has a public photocopier; we also have a fax machine available for outgoing calls.
- The library has space for local artists to exhibit their work, and display cases for exhibits of interest for both adults and children.
- The library offers programs for all ages.
- The library is accessible to those with physical disabilities.