Burnham Memorial Library
The Burnham Memorial Library welcomes people of all ages to enrich their lives through books, audio-visual materials and programs. The library will provide materials for life-long learning and assistance in using information resources, with an emphasis on early literacy in children. Colchester residents will look to the Library as a place that is attractive and welcoming, with an atmosphere that inspires them to learn, grow, and become better citizens.
- July 4 - The library will be closed on Monday, July 4, for Independence Day. The Colchester parade begins at 11 am. We will be serving watermelon, and our restrooms will be available. You can find more about all of the holiday's events here.
- Preschool Music - Our weekly preschool music session, which was scheduled for Tuesday, July 5, will instead take place on Wednesday, July 6 (still at 11:30 am). We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Summer Programs - Registration for summer programming is now live! You can register for library programs here, or by clicking Sign Up for Programs in the menu.
- Summer Book Sale – June 24-26. Help support the library! Don't miss our collection of gently used books and audiovisual materials – all at bargain prices! We have a wide range of hardcovers, paperbacks, CDs, and DVDs! Fiction, non-fiction, biographies, mysteries, self-help, movies, audio books, and more! Located at the Colchester High School (131 Laker Ln.). Call 264-5660 for more information. Please note, we are no longer accepting donations for the sale. Sale hours:
- Friday, June 24 from 5-8 pm (Friends of the Library preview sale – join at the door)
- Saturday, June 25 from 8 am-4 pm
- Sunday, June 26 from 10 am-2 pm (Blow-out sale)
- Teen Tinker Tuesday: Roller Coaster - Update: Our Teen Tinker Roller Coaster program had the wrong date listed in some places; we apologize for any inconvenience. Tuesday, July 12 at 4 pm. We’re building a giant thing! Out of paper! Okay, it’s actually cardstock, but seriously a marble roller coaster with twists and turns and whatever else we want made completely out of paper! Ahem, and did we mention the staircase element? Oh, never mind, just sign up. Teens grades 6-12. Register
- Lake Monsters - Join us for Burnham Memorial Library night at Centennial Field with the Vermont Lake Monsters. Friday, July 22 is library night - half of the proceeds will be donated to the library! The gates open at 6 pm, and the game starts at 7:05 pm. The Lake Monsters (an Oakland A's affiliate) will be playing the Hudson Valley Renegades (a Tampa Bay Rays affiliate). Tickets are $6 - order them here, and take a look at the full flyer here (PDF). Support the library, and catch a great game - we hope to see you there!
- Any Vermont resident may register for free borrowing privileges.
- Circulation Periods:
- 3 weeks - Books
- 2 weeks - New books, audio/video materials, and e-Readers
- 1 week - Periodicals and passes
- Borrowers are financially responsible for damaged and lost library materials.
- There are only overdue fines on VHS Tapes, DVDs, e-readers, and passes.
- Items may be reserved or renewed at the library, by phone, or through the online catalog, unless the item is on hold for another patron.
- The library has book drops located at Town Hall (781 Blakely Road), and at the Rite-Aid near the Price Chopper (1184 Prim Road).
- We participate in Vermont's inter-library loan system - read more about it here.
- The library is part of the Homecard system, enabling Colchester residents to borrow directly from other participating Chittenden County libraries.
- Computers, printers, and a scanner are available for Internet access, email, and working with documents.
- The library has public Wi-Fi for those with their own laptops or other devices.
- We offer access to the Vermont Online Library - a collection of online research databases with materials for all ages.
- The library has a selection of large print books and current magazines.
- The library receives the Burlington Free Press and the New York Times (Daily), and the Colchester Sun and Seven Days (weekly).
- Audiobooks, e-Readers, videos, DVDs, music CDs, and Playaways are available for checkout.
- We have a public meeting space which can be used by community groups - call for information or availability.
- The library has a public photocopier; we also have a fax machine available for outgoing calls.
- The library has space for local artists to exhibit their work, and display cases for exhibits of interest for both adults and children.
- The library offers programs for all ages.
- The library is accessible to those with physical disabilities.