Winter Sand for Colchester Residents Winter sand is intended for Colchester residents for use in residential yards and driveways. It is not intended for contractors or any other commercial enterprise. Violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
The sand pile is located just outside the gate of the Town Garage at 711 Blakely Road and will be replenished throughout the winter season. Residents must provide their own containers and tools to load the sand. The Town will not provide labor or equipment to load the sand.
Winter Parking Ban
The Colchester Public Works Department would like to remind residents of the following winter maintenance ordinance:
Chapter 12, Sec. 12-32 of the Code of Ordinances states that “No automobile shall be parked without authorization on publicly owned land within the Town and including, by way of illustration and not limitation, public and municipal parking lots, drives and ways, including the highways of said Town, between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. from the 15th day of November in each year until the following 15th day of March.” Violation of this ordinance makes our winter operations more difficult and dangerous. We ask for your assistance in helping us keep this winter’s travel safe for all.
Ice and Snow in Public Places
The Colchester Public Works Department would like to remind residents of the following winter maintenance ordinance: Chapter 13, Sec. 13-29 of the Colchester Code of Ordinances states that “No person, by their own act, or through their agents or employees, shall throw, put, push or otherwise deposit snow or ice in the following public areas without written permission from the Director of Public Works or his/her designated representatives:
On the paved or traveled portion of any public street
On any Town sidewalk”
Snow and ice pushed into the traveled portion of a public street or sidewalk poses a safety risk to the public, as it impedes the flow of vehicles, including emergency vehicles, and pedestrians. We ask for your assistance in helping us keep this winter’s travel safe for all.
If you have any questions, please contact Public Works at 264-5620.
Snow and Ice Removal Plan
Access the link below for the complete Snow and Ice Removal Plan that was developed by the Colchester Public Works Department and adopted by the Selectboard.
SNOW AND ICE REMOVAL PLAN
- When will my road be plowed?
- Why does a street right next to my street get plowed first and the snow plow does not come back until hours later to plow my street?
- Why does the snow plow leave a windrow of snow that blocks my driveway?
- Why do the snowplows sometimes come by a second time and leave a windrow of snow on the end of my driveway after I’ve already shoveled it?
- Does the Town have a bare road and sidewalk policy?
- What is the Town’s parking restrictions during the winter?
- My mailbox was damaged when the snowplow came by – will the Town repair it?
- Why does my lawn get damaged by the sidewalk plow and will the Town repair it?
- Are gravel roads treated any differently than paved roads?
- Does the Town apply salt or sand to town sidewalks?
- Who do I contact with other snow plowing concerns, questions, or to report damage?