The library houses more than 54,000 materials and has an annual circulation of approximately 120,000 items. For more information about library opening hours and services, visit their website.
The idea of a Colchester library has existed since 1900. The Colchester King's Daughters began renting rooms for this purpose above Wolcott's store on the corner of Main Street and Mill Pond Road, very close to today's library location. There were no set opening hours and only 47 books available, yet it was very popular.
In 1911, the town officially assumed responsibility for the library and its upkeep, naming it the Colchester Free Library. It kept that title until 1939, when Electa “Etta” Burnham left much of her estate for the purpose of erecting a dedicated library building with a larger collection.
The original Burnham Memorial Library building was built in 1942. An addition was added in 1989 with funds raised by the Friends of the Library.