Colchester Historical Society
- Our One Room Log Schoolhouse Museum located at Airport Park is now closed for the fall season. You can always see more about it under the Log Schoolhouse Restoration link.
- The activity calendar for 2016-2017 is now available. Check it out by clicking on the link at the left. We hope to see you at some of the future events. The October trip to Windsor VT has been cancelled.
- Don't forget to browse our Vintage Photos section. If you have some photos that you would like to add, contact Bob Furst by email or phone: 802-658-3706.
- If you are a member or want to join the society, now is the time to pay your dues! They are only $5.00 a year. To become a member print the form from the link on the left. Fill out the form and bring it to a meeting or send it to the address shown.
News about recent events
- Our first program for the fall 2016 is was "conversation with several residents of the Champlain area of Colchester." .
- On April 13th the Society was presented a $5000 grant from the state for repairs to the parsonage. If you have been by the house you will notice that it has been recently repainted.
- Coralee Magoon, a member of the Colchester Cemetery Commission told us all about the six town cemeteries and three private ones at the May 2016 meeting. She showed photos of some of the interesting grave stones and told us about some of the families and veterans buried there.
- In April 2016, Curt Taylor described the adjustment to civilian life of service members and their families after WWII using letters written by his mother at the time.
- At our March 2016 meeting a committee from the Milton Historical Society described the importance of the General Stannard House and their effort to restore it as a Civil War museum.
- Jerry Allyn presented the history of Hazelett Corporation, a long time manufacturing business in Colchester at the Feb 2016 meeting. This was recorded and a DVD of the presentation is available in case you missed it.
- Our annual Christmas party held at the United Church of Colchester once again had an overflow crowd who heard a wonderful musical presentation by several of the Colchester High School choral groups.
- In November 2015 Curt Taylor used family memoirs to describe Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations in New England of the 1800's and also described some antique cards presented to the society.
- In October 2015 a group of members traveled to St. Johnsbury to visit the amazing Fairbanks Museum and enjoyed a special lecture by Mark Breen in the Planetarium.
- At our September 2015 meeting Murray Thompson described the changes in agriculture in Colchester over the years and where it is headed with some local dairy farmers already using robotic milking machines.
- At the April 13, 2015 meeting Jason Smiley told us all about "The Eddy Family of Spirit Mediums". The question remaining is "were they real or a hoax?"
- On March 9, 2015 Buzz Kuhns presented a slide show of an amazing Alaskan bike trip he took and also presented an amusing poem he wrote about "the cost of Maple Sugaring". If you missed the maple sugaring poem you can find it on the Internet.
- At the February 2015 meeting, Dr. Robert Sofferman showed us some wonderful animal and nature photos from several of his trips in Vermont, the US and foreign countries.