Log Schoolhouse Restoration

Restoration History
  • August 2000 - Ca.1815 log schoolhouse discovered inside local camp is saved by historical society and moved to town hall site
  • August 2001 - Local committee formed by CHS (Colchester Historical Society) to save and renovate the building
  • August 2004 - Select Board approved the restoration and mission to use the building as an information center and museum located at Airport Park, project managers appointed to direct and oversee CHS commitments
  • February 2005 - Funding became available through Federal, State and local grants as well as private donations for the design phase of the project
  • October 2005 - Architects brought on board to design the move and reconstruction
  • February 2006 - Operational plans and designs are approved by Vermont Agency of Transportation (VAOT), federal funding to move to the construction phase of the project became available
  • May 2006 - Constructed foundation at Airport Park
  • October 2006 - Moved schoolhouse 4 miles to new location and began restoration
  • May 2007 - Building opened to public as information center and museum serving visitors and those using the bicycle path for alternative transportation and recreation
Before
Log School House Before Restoration - Outside
Log School House Before Restoration - Inside
After
Log School House After Restoration - Outside
Log School House After Restoration - Inside