Accolades & Awards
Town of Colchester
- Top 50 Best Places to Live - Money Magazine, Best Places to Live in 2015 (Aug. 13, 2015)
"In Colchester, you can feel as if you’re living in the country and still get to work in downtown Burlington in about 15 minutes."
- Colchester High School, Top HS in Vermont - StartClass, The Top High School in Every State (Sept. 21, 2016)
- St. Michael’s College, 100 Best Values in Private Universities - Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine, Best College Values (Dec. 2015)
- Top 10 Best Bike Paths in America - Island Line Rail Trail (including Colchester Causeway & Bike Path) - Rodale's Organic Life (April 1, 2015) "The closest thing to walking on water...The 14-mile Island Line Trail is a great introductory ride to the area that connects the Burlington Bike Path, Colchester Causeway Trail, and the Allen Point Access Area in South Hero."
- Colchester & Burlington Bike Paths, Best Bicycling of Lake Champlain - Yankee Magazine, Editor's Choice (May 18, 2015)
"The fun really begins as the route heads out onto Lake Champlain along a 3½-mile former railroad causeway."
- Sunset Drive-In, Historic Highlight - Yankee Magazine, Editor's Choice (May 1, 2015)
"Updates at the Queen City’s only drivein theatre, a family favorite since 1946, include four giant screens showing the first-run double feature, which begins at dusk."
- Causeway Path Inducted into Rails-to-Trails Hall of Fame - Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, Vermont's Island Line (Dec. 1, 2010)
"Whether you're after transportation of the body or the mind, the Island Line serves up powerful scenery, railroading history, passionate grassroots support, community connections and more."
- Top 100 Best Places for Small Business - Fortune Small Business, The 100 Best Places to Live and Launch (Mar. 26, 2008)
"We scoured the country for towns that combine a great business environment with alluring leisure opportunities."
- Causeway Included in the top ten "Must Rides" in the US - Adventure Cycling Magazine
- Burlington, Top Ten Best College Towns - PureWow, The 19 Best College Towns in America (Aug. 17, 2016)
- Chittenden County, Healthiest in VT 2010-2016 - County Health Rankings (2016)
- Burlington, Top Ten Cities for Careers - Huffington Post, Top 10 Cities for Career Opportunities (Oct. 28, 2015)
"For anyone seeking a small town atmosphere without sacrificing the possibility of a meaningful career, Burlington may be a great choice."
- Burlington, Most Educated City in the State - 24/7 Wall St., The Most Educated City in Every State (Oct. 22, 2015)
- Burlington, Top Ten Most Friendly Cities - Conde Nast Traveler, The 2015 Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities in the U.S. (Aug. 11, 2015)
"A live and let live feeling pervades this New England college town that's fun, laid-back, and artsy... winter or summer."
State of Vermont
- Second Healthiest State for Women, Children, and Infants - United Health Foundation, 2016 Health of Women and Children Report (2016)
- Best State for Working Mothers - WalletHub, 2015’s Best & Worst States for Working Moms (May 2, 2016)
- Green Mountain National Forest, Eleventh Best Forest - Country Living, The 20 Most Beautiful Forests in America (Apr. 26, 2016)
"From being a snowy playground in the winter to a rustic foliage haven in the fall, this forest offers a stunning scenic experience at every turn."
- Two of the Top Ski Resorts (Killington & Stowe) - Wanderbat, The 40 Best Ski Resorts in North America (Dec. 9, 2015)
- Safest State - 24/7 Wall Street, The Safest States in America (Jan. 2, 2015)
- Fifth Best State for Business Startups - Kauffman Foundation, Startup Activity (2015)
- Third in Energy Efficiency - American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy, State Energy Efficiency Scorecard (2015)
"Vermont ranked 3rd in the 2015 State Energy Efficiency Scorecard, the same position it held in 2014. The state scored 39.5 points out of a possible 50, two points more than it earned in 2013."
- Second Healthiest State - United Health Foundation, America's Health Rankings (2015)
- Second Healthiest Seniors in US - United Health Foundation, America's Health Rankings (2015)
- Highest Percentage of Children with Health Insurance - Annie E. Casey Foundation, Kids Count Data Center (2010-2014)
- Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce, Other Accolades - Accolades for Chittenden County and Vermont
Town Departments & Staff
Parks & Recreation Department
- Glen Cuttitta - Vermont Recreation and Parks Association (VRPA), Theresa S. Burngardt Award for a Professional (2012)
- Jennifer Turmel - VRPA, Young Professional Award (2010)
- Causeway Park Awarded - VRPA, Facility of Merit Award (2010)
- Colchester Triathlon Committee - VRPA, Theresa S. Brungardt Award for an Organization (2006)
- Derek Mitchell - VRPA, Young Professional Award (2006)
Planning & Zoning Department
- Sarah Hadd - Northern New England Chapter of the American Planning Association, Professional Planner of the Year (2014)
- Department of Planning & Zoning - US Environmental Protection Agency, State Revolving Loan Fund Pisces Award (2008)
- Lt. Doug Allen - Commencement Speaker at the Colchester High School Graduation (2015)
- Cpl. Jeff Fontaine - KidSafe Collaborative of Chittenden County, Lifetime Achievement Award (2014)
- Child Passenger Fitting Station of the Year - Vermont Department of Health, Child Passenger Safety Seat Fitting Station of the Year (2014)
- Cpl. Jaime Bressler - Vermont Department of Health, Law Enforcement CPS Technician of the Year (2014)
- Sgt. James Roy and Ofc. Jack Lehneman - Colchester Select Board, Resolutions of Appreciation for the Rescue of Colchester Residents in a House Fire (2014)
Public Works Department
- Colchester Integrated Water Management Plan Study - American Council of Engineering Companies - Vermont,
Grand Award for Engineering Excellence (2014)
Town Clerk's Department
- Karen Richard - Vermont Municipal Clerks' and Treasurers' Association, Treasurer of the Year (2014), Clerk of the Year (2007)
Colchester School District
- Amy Minor, Colchester High School - Vermont Principals' Association, NASSP High School Principal of the Year (2013)
- Chris Antonicci, Union Memorial School - Vermont Principals' Association, Henry Giaguque VT Elementary Principal of the Year (2012)