Health & Human Services

Food Resources:

Colchester Food Shelf: 245 Main Street, Colchester, 802.879.2444 - Open Wed Noon - 6 PM

Chittenden County Food Shelf: 228 North Winooski Ave, Burlington, 802.658.7939 - Open M – F, 9 AM – 3:30 PM

Commodity Supplemental Food Program offers free monthly boxes of staple foods to income-eligible adults over the age of 60. Call 1-800-214-4648 or find info at:

WIC offers healthy food and support if you are pregnant or a parent or caregiver for a child under the age of 5. Call 2-1-1 or click the above link to find more information or to check if you qualify for WIC.

3SquaresVT (known nationally as SNAP) is available when you need a little help buying food. The program provides Vermonters funds on an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card, which works like a debit card. EBT cards can be used to purchase food at grocery and convenience stores, co-ops, and many farmers markets. Call 1-800-479-6151. If you need assistance with your application please contact 855-855-6181

Mental Health Resources:

First Call for Chittenden County serves clients and the community regardless of age or diagnosis. Trained staff is available 24/7/365, regardless of the type of service. Call for phone support, crisis intervention and assessment, referrals to appropriate services, and connection to follow-up care. Call 802-488-7777.

Mental Health: How to Get Help is sponsored by the Vermont Agency of Human Services.

Crisis Text Line – Text "VT" to 741741 and a trained crisis counselor will respond within 5 minutes.

Suicide Prevention - Dial 988 for the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline (formerly known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline). Trained counselors are available 24/7.

VT Suicide Prevention Center – If you are thinking about suicide or are worried about someone else, this center will help you find help now.

Health Resources:

Dr. Dynasaur is low-cost or free health coverage for children, teenagers under age 19 and pregnant women. A list of services and services that may have limitations can be found on the Dr. Dynasaur homepage. To find out if you are eligible for coverage, go to Vermont Health Connect.

The Immigrant Health Insurance Plan (IHIP) is a new, State of Vermont-funded health care program intended to support the health and well-being of immigrant children under age 19, pregnant and post-partum individuals who are not eligible for Medicaid (partly federally funded), and those who are otherwise uninsured. They must live in Vermont, or at least be seasonally employed here, and meet the eligibility rules for the program. IHIP covers doctor visits, prescriptions, dental care, and hospital stays.

Vermont 211 is a confidential 24/7 helpline that connects Vermonters with community, health, and human services. Visitors can search in the Community Resource Directory for over 3,000 programs including afterschool programs, food pantries, tax preparation, subsidized housing, veterans’ resources, disability services, debt counseling, mental health services, bus information and much more.

Physical Abuse or Violence:

Vermont Network Against Domestic & Sexual Violence is Vermont’s leading voice on domestic and sexual violence. Our members are 15 independent, non-profit organizations which provide domestic and sexual violence advocacy to survivors of violence in Vermont.

               Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-228-7395

               Sexual Violence Hotline: 1-800-489-7273


Northern New England Poison Center: The Northern New England Poison Center is your source for fast information and expert advice. Whether you’ve taken too much medicine, spilled a chemical on your skin or just have a question, we are here for you 24/7. Call 1-800-222-1222 or visit the website at the link above.

Children’s Environmental Health: Understanding the potential health hazards in our environment—such as lead in paint, contaminants in water, chemicals in children’s products, and pollutants in indoor air—is the first step to ensuring a healthy environment for children. Parents, expecting parents, caregivers and child care providers can learn about potential environmental hazards to children and best practices for preventing exposure.

Alcohol and Drug Abuse: offers free and confidential alcohol and drug support as well as referral services.

              VT Helplink - call 802-565-LINK (5465)

Opioid Overdose Prevention and Naloxone Rescue Program: The Health Department provides naloxone (Narcan®) and training through collaborations with community-based organizations. These partners distribute naloxone and provide overdose response training, opioid misuse prevention training, and referrals to treatment across Vermont.

Quit Smoking:

Visit for free help so you can quit smoking today.

The U.S. federal government collects corporate, payroll, and other taxes for many purposes including, health, social and human services as well as housing and food services. The federal government provides many of these services or access thereto, through agreements with state governments, including the State of Vermont. States, including Vermont, also collect funding through taxes for these services as the federal funding often covers only a portion of the resources provided.

These services are then delivered by the state directly or through organizations funded by the state including non-profit entities.