The Town of Colchester is pleased to announce an exciting new program for high school students called GET ENGAGED, adopted by the Select Board on August 23rd. Through participation in civic volunteerism TODAY we hope to increase future citizen engagement for a strong and vibrant Colchester TOMORROW. It’s an opportunity for the Town to encourage interest in municipal government and broaden citizens’ awareness of local issues and initiatives; and it’s a great way for interested students to become involved in their community in a meaningful way; to share their views, opinions, and fresh ideas while getting a taste of local government in a friendly, positive atmosphere.
The goal of Get Engaged, is to bring a Colchester student to each of the Town boards and commissions. With the guidance of a board member-mentor, the student will take part in shaping the direction of Town growth and initiatives while gaining valuable life experience in teamwork, problem solving, and presentation and communication skills. The one-year terms are open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are Colchester residents.
Town boards and commissions cover a wide scope and variety of interests:
• Conservation and preservation of natural resources (Conservation Commission)
• Parks and Recreation planning of activities and events (Recreation Advisory Board)
• Long-term Town planning for growth (Planning Commission)
• Library operations, programs and policies (Burnham Board of Library Trustees)
• Neighborhood development and zoning issues (Development Review Board)
• Cemetery restoration, maintenance and local history (Cemetery Advisory Committee)
If you know a Colchester student that you think would take an interest in helping to shape our community’s future please contact Linda Gustainis at LGustainis@colchestervt.gov or 264-5509 for further information.