'Tis the Season
With the holidays upon us, many of us remember our favorite charities on our gift lists. Town of Colchester employees enjoy giving back to the community as well, and contributed to several local charities this year:
- Colchester CanSur-vive: Our hometown team of fund-raising planners hosts multiple fund raising activities, in-house and area-wide, including the annual “Pink Out the Park 5K Run.” Proceeds from these activities go to “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.” In 2017 this popular event will be held October 7th at Bayside Park.
- Steps to End Domestic Violence: The Burnham Library and Town employees participated in this drive sponsored by the Colchester/Milton Rotary Club to collect personal items, school supplies, and cell phones for families seeking refuge from domestic violence.
- Colchester Food Shelf: Every November Town employees give generously to purchase turkeys and fixings for Thanksgiving meals for our local food shelf.
- Operation Fire Cuffs: This year the Town staff joined with the Colchester Police Department and other town, state, and US law enforcement and rescue agencies, as well as Burlington Electric and the American Red Cross in Operation Fire Cuffs. They delivered holiday toys to children spending the holiday in Children's Hospital at the UVM Medical Center.
- Holiday Gift Baskets – Each year, the Burnham Library joins with the Colchester-Milton Rotary Club for their Holiday Gift Basket Project. They collect donations of new books for kids ages pre-K to grade 12 to include in gift baskets for local families in need. 2016 marked the 42nd year of this project!