Upcoming March Elections
Happy 2017 from the Town of Colchester! Now that the holidays are over it’s time to start thinking about upcoming local elections. The following Town elected positions will be on the March 7, 2017 ballot:
- Selectboard, 2 Year, currently held by Marc Landry
- Selectboard, 3 Year, currently held by Herb Downing
- Moderator, 1 Year, currently held by Scott Barrett
- School Board, 2 Year, currently held by Curt Taylor
- School Board, 3 Year, currently held by James Lincoln White
- Library Trustee, 5 Year, currently held by Betsy Ferry
- Lister, 3 Year, currently held by Hugh Bemis
- Town Clerk/Treasurer, 2 years, currently held by Karen Richard
If you would like to run for an office, you must submit a petition stating the position and its length of term, along with the signatures of 30 registered voters. We cannot accept petitions that do not state the term of office. Deadline for petitions is 5 PM on Monday, January 30, 2017. For more information visit our website: http://colchestervt.gov/683/Upcoming-Election or contact the Town Clerk’s office at 264-5520. Petition forms may be picked up at the Town Clerk’s window at the Town Offices, 781 Blakely Road.
Also on the March 7th ballot will be proposed amendments to the Town Charter and the Town’s proposed FY2018 General Fund Operating Budget (for budget info visit http://www.colchestervt.gov/367/Proposed-Budget). We encourage voters to attend the following public hearings for these important ballot items:
- Budget hearing: Tuesday, January 10, 2016 at 7:15 PM
- Charter Amendments 1st public hearing: Tuesday, January 10, 2016 at 7:00 PM
- Charter Amendments 2nd public hearing: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:30 PM
All will be held at the Town Offices at 781 Blakely Road in the Outer Bay Conference Room on the 3rd floor. Be an informed voter! Please join us for these informative hearings.
Finally, mark your calendars for the annual free Community Dinner on Monday, March 6th at 5:30 PM in the Colchester High School cafeteria; Colchester’s state representatives will be there to discuss their 2017 legislative priorities and to answer your questions. Dinner will be followed by the Annual Meeting (Town and School) at 7:00 PM in the Colchester High School auditorium.