Colchester Community Spirit and Volunteerism
Community spirit and volunteerism is alive and well in Colchester. Just a few examples within the past few months:
- Pam Loranger, volunteer for many of our Boards and Commission was recently awarded Citizen Planner of the Year by the Vermont Planning Association. Congrats to Pam!
- We finished another successful youth basketball season as a result of people giving their time to coach and organize the league. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kFKqVFL1Xo&t=38s to view a fun video about the experience.
- Marble Island Road had to be closed due to a road collapse resulting from groundwater seeping from the ledges under the road and neighbors allowed a detour on their private road to re-route traffic.
- Rick and Bonnie Bartlett pick up litter around Airport Park almost daily. Let’s all remember to clean up after ourselves so they don’t have to work so hard!
- The Conservation Committee is preparing for Green Up Day on May 6. This year bags and sign up will be available at the Police Department and at the Burnham Library for those who live in the village.
- The Cemetery Advisory Board recently completed an overhaul of our Cemetery Rules and Regulations and is working hard to improve our cemeteries in advance of Memorial Day.
- Our rescue squad and volunteer fire departments have to do over 60-80 hours of training annually to keep us safe. Come to the Colchester Rescue open house in May. Look for details in next week’s Town Newsletter.
For more information visit www.colchestervt.gov/manager or call (802) 264-5509.