Annual Leaf Drop Discontinued
At their September 11, 2018 meeting the Colchester Selectboard voted not to fund an Annual Leaf Drop. Since 2008 the Leaf Drop at Airport Park has been staffed by the volunteer members of the Colchester Conservation Commission, with hauling provided by the Chittenden Solid Waste District (CSWD).
Why was this decision made?
- The volunteer Conservation Commission has other projects and the members decided it is no longer feasible for them to staff the Leaf Drop.
- CSWD informed the Town that they will no longer provide hauling for the Leaf Drop.
- The cost to the Town to run a Leaf Drop Weekend has been estimated at $11,000 for one weekend, primarily for hauling costs
- As a Town-provided service, a single weekend leaf drop in one location would be inadequate to serve all Colchester households
- Leaf disposal service has not been budgeted and a funding source has not been identified
- There are free alternatives readily available to residents for leaf disposal
Where can I dispose of my leaves?
At no charge, any Chittenden County resident may take leaves to any CSWD Drop-Off Center; to Green Mountain Compost, or to the McNeil Wood and Yard Debris Depot. See websites below for hours, maps, and more information about allowable materials.
CSWD Drop-Off Centers convenient to Colchester include:
On behalf of the Selectboard and the community the Town thanks the members of the Colchester Conservation Commission for their dedication in overseeing and staffing the Leaf Drop for the past nine years. Their hard work is greatly appreciated.