During this time of practicing social distancing, please do not come into our office to make a payment or ask questions. Property tax payments can be made by:
- dropping into Black Drop Box at the front entrance of Town Hall
- send by US Postal Mail to: 781 Blakely Rd, Colchester, VT 05446
- pay online at Xpress-Pay, there is a convenience fee of 2.85% plus $.40.
Please contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-264-5520.
Please be aware of due dates and methods of paying property taxes. The Town Clerks/Treasurers Office is required by Colchester Town Charter Ch. 7, Sec. 702 to charge penalty and interest on balances unpaid by the date due. Delinquent balances after the due date are charged 1% interest monthly for the first 90 days and 1.5% monthly after 90 days, until paid in full. There is also a penalty charged on delinquent balances: a one time 5% charge for up to 30 days, then a one time 3% charge after 30 days.
|Total Tax Rate
Homestead Declarations Information (click here)
is a database that gives needed information to tax filers preparing Homestead Declaration(HS-122) and Household Income(HI-144) forms. Warning: Please be aware that this not the entire Grand List nor full assessment value, just those parcels and information that is needed to file Homestead Declarations and Property Tax Adjustments.
NEW 2020 HOMESTEAD DECLARATIONS
Check here to see if we have received your 2020 Homestead Declaration.
Due Dates (for the new tax year, starting July 1)
For 2019/2020 Tax Year:
- August 15
- November 15
- March 16
- Tax billing cycle runs July 1st through June 30th of each year.
- Tax Bills are sent to owner of record around July 15th of each year.
- Postdated payments of property taxes are not accepted.
- The tax bills have 3 payment stubs on bottom to be used for each of the 3 installment due dates.
- New owners after July 1st need to request a copy of their tax bill from us if not received through the closing (sale/purchase) process.
- Delinquent balance charges include interest of 1% monthly for the first 90 days on balances left unpaid after each due date. Interest of 1.5% will be charged monthly after the 90 days until paid in full.
- The penalty schedule is as follows, one time, 5% charge for first 30 days and, one time, 3% charge for balances remaining due after the 30 days. This is charged on tax balances not paid after each due date on tax bills.
Homestead Declaration (HS-122) & Property Tax Adjustment Claim (Hi144)
- If you own and occupy your home as of April 1st of current year, you are required to file these forms.
- The Homestead Declaration filing will give you the lower, residential tax rate as well as a tax credit adjustment, if eligible, and filed in conjunction with Hi144 form.
- The filing can also be completed online at the
- Filing deadline corresponds with the state income tax filing deadline in April of each year.