The last installment of the Property Tax Year 2020/2021 is due March 15, 2021. In an effort to keep our customers and ourselves safe, please see the ways to pay that does not require you to visit our counter in Town Hall.
Property tax payments can be made by:
- drop box at the front door to Town Hall
- US Postal Mail, we do take US postal marks dated by 3/15/2021 as on time
- online using a debit/credit card or by Echeck
See Payment Options for more information.
If you don't know how much you need to pay or need a copy of your tax bill, please contact us with any questions at email@example.com or 802-264-5520.
|State Education Tax||1.5800||1.8210|
|Town Municipal Service Tax||0.5480||0.5480|
|Total Tax Rate
Due Dates (for the new tax year, starting July 1)For 2020/2021 Tax Year (due by 5pm):
- August 17
- November 16
- March 15
- Tax billing cycle runs July 1st through June 30th of each year.
- The Town of Colchester is required to bill and collect the State of Vermont's Education Tax which is determined by the State Legislature annually.
Here is a linkwhich shows the Town's Municipal Service tax and the State of Vermont's Education Tax on a sample tax bill.
- Tax Bills are sent to owner of record around July 15th of each year.
- Postdated payments of property taxes are not accepted.
- The tax bills have 3 payment stubs on bottom to be used for each of the 3 installment due dates.
- New owners after July 1st need to request a copy of their tax bill from us if not received through the closing (sale/purchase) process.
- Delinquent balance charges include interest of 1% monthly for the first 90 days on balances left unpaid after each due date. Interest of 1.5% will be charged monthly after the 90 days until paid in full.
- The penalty schedule is as follows, one time, 5% charge for first 30 days and, one time, 3% charge for balances remaining due after the 30 days. This is charged on tax balances not paid after each due date on tax bills.